Women in Sales & Marketing: A conversation with Kathie Nelson
Kathie Nelson joined me on SLMA Radio talking about Women in Sales & Marketing.
What do they do to sabotage themselves?
Why is multi-tasking not a badge of honor?
This was recorded in Google Hangouts – my first experiment recording. I see this as a wonderful tool and venue, especially since it can be set to publish live to Youtube. As much as I’d like this to be all about the show, the topic and tips, when I reviewed it, it is also about what NOT to do on a video conference, especially one that is being recorded.
- Smile and look at the screen the entire time, even when you are not talking.
- Keep behind you activity to a minimum – people can still see your children, even if they are ducking.
- Don’t fidget with yourself: hair, makeup
- Don’t eat, even if you mute the microphone, we all see you. No one eats “pretty.”
- If there is more than one more participant, mute your microphone when you are not speaking.
- Consider a headset to eliminate feedback from your speakers.
Kathie Nelson was the example of what to do. I was the example of what not to do. It’s distracting to your message when you commit 1-4. It would be easy to burn the evidence of this by simply deleting, but we can all learn from our mistakes. Think of it this way, I made mistakes so you can learn without the pain.
I will continue refining my “hangout” and video show skills. Happy to pass along any tips I discover. I’ll have a more thorough “how to” in a post later this week. It’s not as spontaneous as they’d like to believe. Planning is involved, and graphics.